Here's a little insight into my life...

Friday 10 January 2014

The Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare Booktalk & battle between TID and TMI

Synopsis: The Clockwork Price is Cassandra Clare's final installment in her The Infernal Devices trilogy. It follows Tessa's journey towards marriage and the troubling illness which seems to be catching up to her fiancée with haste. After a few shocking discoveries about Mortmain's whereabouts and his intentions, and after a sudden kidnapping of a much loved Downworlder, the race begins to save Tessa's life whilst Jem's progressively nears the end. The members of the London Institute face a big decision to make, betray the Clave or betray each other?

*
**
***
SPOILERS
***
**
*

So I just finished reading Clockwork Princess and was left literally shattered. The book throws so many different emotions at you that it's seriously too much to deal with. When Jem died, or when we at least thought he had, I cried for about 3 hours straight. The way Cassandra described Will's pain and then Tessa's grief made me feel like I myself had lost someone and without him in the story it kind of felt like I had! Admittedly, I think Cassandra should have left Jem dead. He had said his goodbyes and made peace without everyone (except maybe Tessa) and I had just about managed to stop crying when WHOOPS JEM POPS UP AGAIN. I was so confused at first and felt kind of angry to be honest because I didn't want some miraculous cure to have popped up last minute which would have been completely cliché and predictable. I didn't expect him to become a silent brother, he never really mentioned even considering it before and I'm sure he told Tessa he would never wish that life for himself? What changed? We never really found out...
I don't mean to rant because I genuinely did love this book but I did not like the epilogue. I thought the ending was perfect; Tessa was going to marry Will which was what I had been rooting for since the very first chapters of Clockwork Angel, basically everything ended happily. The epilogue was sad, the description of Will's death was heartbreaking but it was expected. I half expected Tessa to make some big gesture of suicide so she would not have to see all her loved ones die but it because obvious pretty quickly that that wouldn't happen. The description of modern day London was strange, I was so absorbed in the 1800s that i'm not entirely sure I liked the transition to 2008. When Jem turned up as his old self, I knew I would be irritated by what came next. How could Tessa simply swap the love of her life like that? I felt it was a kind of betrayal of Will's memory but I do understand that she loved both of them.

Overall however, this was an amazing end to the trilogy. The way Mortmain was defeated was suprising and a realllllly bizarre plot twist which I loved! I'm glad that everyone was together with someone in the end, Sophie had Gideon and Cecily had Gabriel. I really liked the character development of the Lightwood brothers in this book, I felt it was convincing and a nice addition to the Institute family. Cecily was also a really likeable character, she reminded me of Will and I simply love him and she was just really straightforward and likeable.

Now to the second part of this blog post, which was better, The Infernal Devices or The Mortal Instruments?

I loved the The Infernal Devices probably because it was set in London, it was set in one of my favourite periods of history and the characters were really well developed because there were less of them.

The two books obviously shared the same characters but the storyline in The Mortal Instruments was much more detailed and in depth simply because it is spread out over more books. I found myself surprised more in The Mortal Instruments, there were more shocking twists and more subplots within the overarching plot.
The Mortal Instruments however was not perfect, some books in the series were better than others, City of Glass being the best and City of Ashes being the worst in my opinion but I feel The Infernal Devices generally sustained the same level of quality.

The Infernal Devices was definitely written better, I feel Cassandra gets better at writing with every book she publishes and this trilogy was well thought out, the storyline of all three books was clearly carefully planned and it was generally a very easy read without too many unanswered questions.

Overall, I feel The Infernal Devices was better because the characters were more convincing and a story is nothing without its characters. The research for this book was extensive; Cassandra must be well travelled and well read to be able to write about places in London which I myself have not even heard of despite living there for 18 years. With the release of City of Heavenly Fire being released in a matter of months, my opinion may change depending on how the series in rounded up and how heartbroken Cassandra's ruthless and inevitable slaughter of main characters will leave me.


Please let me know which you think is better, TID or TMI?

No comments:

Post a Comment