Here's a little insight into my life...

Monday 31 March 2014

Love and honor - Film review


*

I know this film came out quite a while ago but it just popped up on my skymovies and I thought I'd give it a watch. I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy this film, because what I was looking for was a film that was easy viewing and didn't get me too emotionally attached, however judging by the title of the film, I'm guessing this was the wrong thing to take away from it. Basically, this was an awful film.

Firstly, the poster for this film shows two of the main characters however I would say the character 'Joiner' was equally as important in the plot, if not the character who carries the story forward... but regardless as to this fault, he was dreadfully cast. Austin Stowell lacked the conviction of a Vietnam soldier and his facial expressions and false emotions made me cringe so much I genuinely think he needs to take up a role on the Disney channel asap...

Furthermore, the war in Vietnam was literally depicted as one massive ride. The soldiers seemed to spend more time chatting than actually fighting any enemies and not once in the whole film did we get a sense of why the war was actually going on... for anyone watching the film who has no knowledge of the Vietnam war, don't take this depiction as real PLEASE. The film needed way more protest and way more adult themes, the 60s were not so subtle and the film didn't really give this era any justice.

All I wanted was a more original storyline. How typical but yet wholly unconvincing that a soldier go back to America for THREE days and then suddenly fall in love with someone and completely change the person that he is. Even Dear John gave the couple a little over two weeks to kindle their romance but this 'love' which I'm assuming they are referring to in the title was quite frankly boring and unexhilarating (potentially made up a word there).

Liam Hemsworth was the best thing about this film, he is a talented actor and brings life to the characters he is given rather than just reproduce lines however I don't believe the character he was given was all that interesting either. At some points I just literally thought, WTF... 'loveliest angel'? Not a single girl I know would ever fall for that line in a million years, he'd be walking away with a sore cheek if he tried it with me.

I don't think any of the characters knew anything about honor, fair enough Hemsworth went back to the front line but Joiner pretty much admitted that he had more honor for his girlfriend than he did for the war effort which I think was a really negative message to put across... being a soldier demands way more loyalty to your country than to your loved ones.

Oh and just one last thing, I hate Aimee Teegarden.

No comments:

Post a Comment